Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Some Terrific Student Voices

Any student who does a blog for my class must follow exact instructions on preparing the blog for class. Among a key requirement is to "see yourself as a professional". This is accomplished by keeping an active daily twitter account that is filled with professional, career centered 140 character tweets. These are not Facebook updates. Instead of answering the question, “What are you doing?”, answer the question, “What has your attention?”

Everyone also must have a "Voice". This is presenting you as a professional in the field. This is not made up or faked. It is real. You as an industry professional blogging and tweeting about the industry. 

Here are some really good ones from actual students (with very minimal editing). They are very person and very specific.


I am a photographer, plain and simple. What I do is create beautiful photos by arranging what I see in my viewfinder to make the most appealing pictures as possible. I am a professional as well. What that means is I know what to do, how to do it. I take great pride in my work and I am proud of what I produce. Since taking photography up years ago I have grown as a person and of course as a photographer. What I hope to achieve is to get myself known in this field by working my way up. Of course that means starting at the bottom and working my way up. Starting by working with another company and learning the ropes through them until you’re are able to step out of the area and work for yourself.  As I climb up the figurative ladder, I develop more and more. I notice my photos becoming of a professional standard. That gives me the inspiration to continue and improve even more. One is never done improving themselves or their work. We can always strive for more, to become the best we can be. I am a professional, a professional photographer.


I don’t feel I’m a filmmaker; I feel I’m an artist making films. Through my years I’ve always wanted to entertain people. Whether it’s music or television I have always enjoyed putting a smile on someone’s face or making his or her jaws drop. I know I will be successful as long as I stay focused and put my priorities first. Working out in the field in this business is highly competitive, and finishing second place doesn’t work for me. When critical moments come along critical thinking comes with it: I have to be ready, and I have to think quickly. I also understand I have to watch what I do, watch what I say, and how I say it.  The basic principle behind that is to know what to say and what to do. There’s a need for me to know what I’ve learned and apply it to what I’m learning now. I struggle and it makes me a better man, although I fall of sometimes, but I always get back up and understand what I did and why I did it. A dream is only a dream if the only thing you do is dream about it.

Graphic design is my number one passion: I wake up in the morning thinking about typography.  I go throughout the entire day with design on my mind.  I go to sleep excited about what I am going to do next and sometimes even dream about my profession.  Sounds pretty crazy right, you could say I have a one track mind. But I know it’s on the right track! What I bring to the table is a keen eye for typography, a knack for color schemes, a high capacity for branding, and a never-ending love for creating logos.  One of my favorite things about my career is that I create things for people that weren’t existent before.  I contribute something to the universe, sending out good designs to represent a company or individual.  I am such a lucky and grateful person who has found their niche in life.  In a perfect world, I’d be an art director at an agency working alongside creative people.  I’d be challenged to solve problems in an unconventional way and make the audience think. My future feels like a roller coaster; some parts scare the crap out of me while others keep me smiling for days on end.

Game design is one of the most interesting subjects I’ve ever been involved with.  In this constantly evolving industry, it’s important to keep up and understand current game design philosophies.  Games are capable of conveying emotions and experiences you can’t get anywhere else; the thought of me creating them fuels my passion.  As someone who personally feels that storytelling is an intrinsic part of human nature, I take the opportunity to tell my own stories in such an interactive way very seriously.  This is what motivates me to pursue a career in which I can take charge of the visual art style and develop the stories for my own projects that fit my vision.  I take pride in my profession and hope that I can express myself artistically via this amazing medium.  Ultimately, I pursue creative freedom.  While admittedly ambitious, I honestly feel that my work ethic and skill range will allow me to achieve this goal.  I hope for the day I can lead a team and work create a unique game play experience and tell a story that people will love.  For me it isn’t about the money; but the chance to allow people to interact with my art.

What I bring to the film world is originality and a creative eye to each of my film pieces. Growing up I always found myself with a video or photography camera in my hands. I love to shoot my surroundings. I often thought to myself that I would love to be apart of the film making process. I'm most interested in shooting video and editing video, one day I hope to become a great Cinematographer.  I want to make films that make people open up their minds and think. We all got our movies that we watch for pure entertainment, but I also like films based on facts and true events. If you see a film that the characters have something in common with each individual audience member then maybe the film can help you realize things in your own life that you could make better for yourself. I don't want my films to make my audience learning lever go down to the 8th grade when they sit in a movie theater. I want my audience to leave feeling like they have been enlightened or learned something that they did not know before. I'm passionate about what I do.

Drawing has always been my passion. With animation I am able to work with an even more beautiful kind of art, motion. When I draw figures in motion, following the sound, I believe I’m making true art. I love movies, and I watch of what’s best out there, constantly. I like to watch movies that show true human emotions, so this way I can pass it to my action in drawing. I draw every day, I also practice painting at least twice a week, and this way I train my eyes to recognize good color schemes. I’m very flexible with styles, I find it easy to follow different styles, and I always try my best to push myself to do it. Like my other kinds of art, I spend many hours a day practicing and drawing different things. As an artist I need to be able to draw a large variety of things and themes. I enjoy drawing different things, instead of being stuck doing only with what I feel comfortable. As a professional I’m always searching for excellence in my work and I’m always trying to learn more. I hope I never stop learning.

I am a Graphic Designer. Ever since I was little girl growing up I’ve always loved designing. My goal is to designing logos and ads for all different kinds companies and businesses: whether freelance, agency or even corporate. Art is a very unique talent that very few have, but each individual who have this talent shows their creative ability in many different ways. I got a wonderful start at The Art Institute of Las Vegas, met talented people and got to work with many different freelance projects. I love freelancing because it allows me to work one on one with my clients to achieve amazing results. I enjoy working one on one with clients to give them the opportunity to speak with me as often as they like, to answer questions, discuss ideas, and ensure that they receive exactly what they want. I put my best effort into all I do, making clients happy as well as making myself happy. Making my client happy is the most important thing to achieve. There's a quote that inspired me and helps me move forward day by day. Here it is, "LIVE BIG! Set a goal so high that when you achieved it, it'll blow your mind" -unknown, I have yet to achieve mine but I'm getting there slowly.

As a fashion business professional, I can honestly say that fashion has multiple major factors that you have to be able to understand and relate to in order to succeed in this industry. These factors consist of the many fashion shows, the production of a new collection, the purchasing for a new season, and even the reactions of the consumer. I believe fashion has a way of capturing everyone’s attention, no matter who you are and what your sense of style may be. Fashion is something that I have always had a sincere passion for, however in my heart my true love is for the business side of it all. Evaluating consumer buying habits first hand has been quite an experience for me and from my experience in the fashion industry thus far I know becoming a buyer is something that will be a perfect fit. Researching designers and knowing what’s current in the business and marketing industry is what sets me apart from my peers. I am preparing to study in Italy after graduation, I believe to really understand a country’s sense of fashion you must understand their culture. Fashion is an industry that constantly changes and transforms, I’m the individual that knows how to keep up.

I have always been intrigued by visual communications. The art of expressing information is not in a specific language, yet clearly it is communicating a message. The wide diverse styles of design and the fact that design is everywhere are absolutely alluring. Making collages and gathering images of my personal inspirations, as a hobby, was the start of my interest with design. I’ve admired design for as long as I can remember, without even realizing it was something I could do professionally. After having almost considered going into film, then realizing I had always truly loved Design, I have absolutely no regrets. I have continued to love what I’ve been doing and continue to have a yearning to learn more about my major. Over the years, I have developed an even greater interest in 3D design, Package Design, as well as Apparel Design. I have made many design goals, for myself I hope to accomplish, As well as a personal goal: I want to inspire others with my projects and creations, like I am inspired with those that catch my eye.

No comments: